Tuesday, April 6, 2010

On: party for love.




























This weekend I went with my parents to my cousins buck n doe. It was a hot weekend, going into the 20’s, which I have never experienced this early in the year. The poor weather is all confuzzled. We saw the Mennonites getting out of church, and we stopped at house #6666 which I’ve always meant to do.

When we got to my parents house Dad took me for a ride on his new motorcycle, it was glorious. I am strongly leaning towards getting a motorcycle license and getting myself a bike- I just can’t stand to be stuck in the city all summer when I could be on back roads and in abandoned houses and running through cornfields and climbing trees. It’s so green there and so grey here.

Then Dad and Nox and I went back to Shandi’s house to have a look around. Someone has come to strip off the countertops, and the bricks along the back wall have nearly all crumbled off. I’m not sure how it has degenerated so much. I guess that the owner found it too much trouble to rent it out, and now it is far too damaged to do so.

While we were there some women were out riding their horses, and came up the laneway when they saw Basko. There is a door on the second floor that opens onto the roof, so Dad leaned out and confirmed that the dog was ours. “I probably look like I live here” he said to me, and looked in a mirror “Oh, yeah, I look pretty weird. I should have said ‘Come in, we’ll have some tea! What year is it?”

Then we set off to the buck n doe, another beautiful drive. When we got there we went to the park because Pontius P and I had slept there while on our cross South-western Ontario bike trip, and I wanted to reminisce. A nice girl hung out with us our first night. We told her that we wanted to sleep, and showed her our sub terra sleeping pavilion. She came back later-2 AM?- with cookies and played us some songs on her guitar. We didn’t get a lot of sleep that night. The next day we met some drunk punks swimming in the river. One of them asked where we were going, then told us about his adventures in hitchhiking. Then asked where we were going, and told us about his adventures in hitchhiking. I think he smoked too much.

Shortly thereafter a family in spandex bike suits with a baby holster started chatting with us. “on a long trip? You should drink Gatorade.” “What? Why?” “It replenishes your electrolytes.” We laughed and biked off into the sun.

This time we ate a picnic and threw sticks for the fur ball. Later we checked my parents into their hotel room and my things/Nox’s things into my other cousin’s house. We walked around sommore and I threw rocks at/for the dog: he is in a complicated relationship with rocks and likes to catch them in his mouth. If he finds one too big to pick up then he barks at it instead.

The sunset was incredible, but my Samsung ultra wide doesn’t like to take pictures of the sky. Its light balance isn’t very good (I need to play with the manual settings some) and if doesn’t like to focus on anything so insubstantial as clouds, so my canon is still the better for sky shots.

Dad declared “I am going to get drunk as fuck tonight!” and he bought us our first round of drinks. We played a lot of pool, all rounds of which I lost, excepting the very last one. Apparently I need to be drunk enough, then I can win. As the party got going nobody was dancing, so Dad and Nox and I went out and got the party started. As more people arrived it got going. Dad was awful popular with the ladies. This town is a total Hicksville, and as it was Easter Friday and the event was held in a bar, it was the only one open. The place was packed by the time we left, which is great for my cousin/his bride to be. I was happy that no one talked to me. Two fights happened.

My favorite part was how short all the men were. Nox is 6 foot 3 and the pool table was right beside the mens room: when Nox bent over to shoot pool guys would walk by to pee and be the same height as him. All the women were regular weight, but about half of the men were quite short. One of my cousin’s friends commented on Nox’s resemblance to the guy from Korn.

The next day we drove back to my parents house, and on the way we drove through a marshy forest stretch and the spring peepers were thunderous loud. One didn’t even notice that I was there, 1 mm away from his face taking pictures. I guess he needed his coffee after sleeping all winter.

Nox and I chilled, reading on the front porch. I drank sage tea and chatted with mom.

Then back to the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment