Friday, September 17, 2010

On: M-O-O-N radio!

M-O-O-N
Very shortly after arriving in Toronto I got myself to campus to buy books. While I was there I chatted for a while with a very nice fella named George, and filled out an application to host a one hour radio show focused around Gothic Rock, Post Punk and New Wave music. Thus my dream, M-O-O-N radio, has jumped from my head and into the really real world. FUCK YEAH!

There are some limitations. My show airs at six o’clock, so no naughty words. I must play a maximum (wha?) 10% “charted” music during every show. And 35% of my content must be Canadian. These rules are not from the station, they apply to every radio station in Canada.

Originally it was the first condition that had me worried, but the program manager suggested that I play a charted song in the background while I talk; problem solved. I find the shortest top 40 hit and play it really quietly while I mutter. Then I realized what a challenge it was going to be to find enough Canadian music to satisfy the second criteria, with internet that only worked 40% of the time and a genre spawned in the UK as my shows focus.

BUT. Wow. It’s been so much fun! I’ve discovered some really great bands in the last week, and I am being forced, pushed and prodded into knowing my local scene and Canadian music in general.

I need to get my bum in gear on the advertising front. I’ll make some fliers and try to get them up around Toronto. There’s a facebook fan page, called M-O-O-N radio. Everyone I meet on campus has heard of my show. Etc.

To listen on Tuesday go to www.fusionradio.ca and click listen live at 6 O’clock

2 comments:

  1. Sweet! Looking forward to tuning in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank ya stranger! Requests are welcome for next weeks show :)

    ReplyDelete