Friday, February 17, 2012

On: subways.


Last year I didn’t have occasion to go downtown very often so riding the subway was a real treat. The experience was terrible and beautiful; equal parts isolation-melancholia and underground beauty. This year I commute to school and enjoy my subway rides without the sadness – I read, I watch the tracks behind me, and lately I draw.

I’ve been having strange emotions for the last month and that’s what this comic is about. Sometimes I’m haunted by a sense of guilt for something I can’t remember, or maybe didn’t happen at all. Being around people sometimes/used to make me deeply uncomfortable, but I’m getting over it. Cracking the hermit shell takes time, rooting out squirrlish tendencies takes time. If you read this please tell me; was the emotion of the comic clear? Vague but accessible? Did it have an effect? Was it effective?

Today I am hangovered, as T-rex would say. I will eat kimchi noodles and then wander about. Delight! Reading week has begun!

5 comments:

  1. Effective yes, also in a kind of haunting way. Familiar to the point of causing a small bit of dampness in me ol' eye sockets. I like it though for some reason it makes me want to cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nox?

      Cool! Thanks man :D I have a wee pocket scetch that I use often. I'm not sure what size the pages are...like 5x3 inches or something? So each panel is one of those pages, thus the uneven looking lettering and stuff. Thats what I really dislike about this now - is I want it to be more uniform.

      Also you should watch Flash Gordon. And then read Flash Gordon on a lark.

      Delete
  2. Uniform can be nice but I like it anywho, of course you could easily do a little alteration in photoshop or the free alternative GIMP, to make it a little more uniform looking. Still was very pleased to see you trying your hand at the graphic arts, next I'm hopping for some writing... maybe a late bday present? I don't know if I can bring myself to watch flash gordon on my own and I don't know anyone these days that would be up for that kind of thing.

    ~Nyx aka Nox and occasionally as Nix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, and also one of my drawings is in the HighBrow that's out right now! Check it!

      Delete
  3. I have a free editing prograpm but my wee laptop lacks to power to run it without crashing. I can use it under certain conditions but I dont bother very often. I'll learn my lesson and keep on truckin :D

    That sucks hard man, it's a great show. 1930's or 40s? Really fucking old. Their rocketships are models with visible strings that take off and land in the most incredible way, and I swear every actor is super obvious about being really gay. Lots of close standing and elbow-almost-brushing-junk action. And there's lots of old men in tights. All the costuming is incredible, actually...

    ReplyDelete