Friday, May 7, 2010

On: accomplishments.

sewn long
I have, as of late, gotten quite a lot of sewing done. This is lovely, as I have never excelled at sewing. This is due to my dislike of measuring, my wild ‘n crazy cutting skills and my tendency to give up when aI discover that my project is lopsided, sewed inside-out-to-right-side-out, too small, or when a shiny sandwich floats into view.

We have those here. Floating shiny sandwiches.

While I still don’t measure with, you know, actual tools, and I still hack at fabric like some kind of human who cuts wood for a living, I no longer give up part way through. It does sometimes take me rather a long time to complete a project-RE the pants I finished yesterday, begun in September- but I do complete the project.

For instance: I have made a serious effort to resuscitate ”The Pants” (see picture at right). The Pants which I always wear, which I have worn for the last six years, which I purchased second hand, which cause love at first sight in hobos, because of which I have overheard people questioning Nox, “Are those the only pants that City has?” This is clearly a serious matter, and has been seriously attended to. Disintegration was occurring so rapidly that I feared to wear The Pants for the entirety of the winter term- the touch of road salt would surely have melted them. The Pants are now entirely wearable and the only concern left is that of the gaping chasm that is their crotch. I have chosen to solve this by wearing boxers and appreciating the summery breeze.

If I may refer you again to the picture at the right of this text you will see that I am not only wearing pants, but a shirt as well. Aint nobody can say I gots no class. I made this shirt at around the same time that I performed most of my Pant repairs, shortly before embarking to Toronto. I count it lucky that this sewing urge coincides with a rejuvenated love for patchy/DIY/messy...fashion (?) as it compliments my sewing inabilities nicely. Huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment